Banner

Wednesday, 9 November 2016

The Introduction of Cocktail Hour

I was sitting on our roof terrace one sunny afternoon, working on ideas for a client’s birthday tea party. Suddenly I thought, how can I recommend these cocktails without first making sure they taste delicious? I'm all heart like that.

I also thought, God it’s hot! Surely 14:00 is an acceptable time to have a cocktail.

So I headed to the kitchen, pulled out the ingredients and began to mix.

I'm not going to lie, some tasted better than others. By the end of the afternoon I was a little far gone and can't remember what the latter ones tasted like. I reasoned if they were great, I would have remembered, and for this reason I removed several from the list.

Remembering that these cocktails were to be served at a tea party. I started to think about using tea as an ingredient. I love green tea, I love gin and I love cake. I'm not even sure I'd be able to choose between them, so let’s group them together as 'my favourites' and hope I never have to.

I thought about adding cake to the cocktail. Obviously I was a little tipsy by this stage. Thank goodness I reassessed that idea. It is most definitely better to serve cake on the side, rather than in the cocktail.

During the afternoon, I stumbled upon a recipe by Greg Henry, tweaked it a little and came up with a winner. This is how I make the green tea gimlet.

The Green Tea Gimlet

To make a batch of 4 you need:
  • 5oz of Tanqueray gin 
  • 2 heaped teaspoons of Genmai Cha Japanese green tea
  • 3oz of fresh lime juice
  • 2oz of sugar syrup (Easy to make, its equal amounts of sugar to water heated until the sugar is dissolved and left to cool. I make up enough to fill a bottle and keep it in the fridge)
  • 4 lime wheels as garnish
  • Ice
Method
  • Put the tea into the gin and leave to infuse overnight
  • Leave glasses in freezer to chill
  • Drain tea infused gin. (I'm sure you can buy some fancy gadget to do this, but I use a clean pop sock)
  • Squeeze limes
  • Fill cocktail mixer with ice, add gin, lime juice and sugar syrup, stir until thoroughly chilled
  • Pour into chilled glasses
  • Add lime wedge garnish  


This is a cocktail I definitely recommend serving at your tea party. I love it so much, I introduced cocktail hour in its honour.  
Now that the seasons have changed I'm experimenting with rum. I'll let you know when I find another winner.
On other news, the build is finished. Hooray! We now have a lovely new office, loads of storage and a beautiful sun terrace which is a pleasure to drink cocktails on.
Claire x